Thursday, November 26, 2009

King Charles I


“Still, I like Charles – I respect him – I pity him, poor murdered king!” (pg. 68)

Charles I was the king of Great Britain and Ireland from 1625 to 1649. Upon his ascension to the throne, Charles I was confronted with multiple burdens including abundant financial problems, an overall mismanagement of affairs, and an eventual civil war. Due to the controversial issues that plagued his reign, Charles I was accused of treason and executed. The dignity that Charles I showed during his trial and execution gained him sympathy which led many to believe him to be a martyr. Bronte references Charles I because of his importance to British culture. Helen's reaction to Charles I's mentioning develops her as a character. Her reaction also alludes to a connection that she and Charles I share. It isn't until later, when Helen dies, that the reader realizes how similarly martyr-like the two are, or at least in the sense that both “went softly.” Bronte purposely sets Helen in certain circumstances, such as this, in order to show her genuine qualities.

"King Charles the First 1600-1649." British Civil Wars, Commonwealth and Protectorate, 1638-60. Web. 26 Nov. 2009. http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/biog/charles1.htm

Charles I. Digital image. Web. 29 Nov. 2009. http://www.vandaprints.com/lowres/39/main/2/14025.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment